The Provider Education Program has developed accredited programs on Asthma for health care providers in Ontario.
The Asthma programs available include:
- Adult & Paediatric Asthma
- Asthma Action Plans
- Pre-school Asthma
The programs are designed to ensure that the diagnosis and management of asthma patients in Ontario is carried out in accordance with evidence based clinical guidelines.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify the hallmarks of controlled and uncontrolled asthma.
- Accurately diagnose asthma.
- Apply the Canadian Asthma Consensus Guidelines to pre-school, pediatric and adult asthma patients.
- Fill out an asthma action plan
The programs are 2-3 hours long and are comprised of a didactic presentation delivered by specialists followed by a case discussion period in small groups, facilitated by a family physician and/or certified asthma educator. Participants have the benefit of gaining knowledge from a specialist in the field of asthma and an opportunity to actively work through a case.
The Provider Education Program (PEP) meets the accreditation criteria of the College of Family Physicians of Canada.